The Neighbour Day ‘Tell Us Your Story’ competition invites people in communities around the country to share their stories of an extraordinary neighbour, or an amazing neighbourly act.
The principal aim of Neighbour Day is to build better relationships with the people who live around us, especially the elderly and vulnerable. In 2017 Neighbour Day’s annual theme was: The importance of social connection for the elderly.
To reflect the theme, this year we’re asking people to tell us their story of:
- An extraordinary elderly neighbour;
- A friendship with an elderly neighbour;
- Children connecting with elderly neighbours; or
- How they reached out to an elderly neighbour on Neighbour Day.
- The stories must reflect the spirit and purpose of Neighbour Day (see principal aim above).
- Entries will open Monday 27 March 2017 and close at 5pm, Monday 17 April 2017.
- Entry to this competition is open to people of all ages, currently residing in Australia.
- Entrants must submit just one story, written in English.
- The word limit for stories submitted is 250 words.
- Entries must be the original work of the participant and must not have been published, self-published, included on a website, blog, online forum or other broadcast medium prior to the competition entry.
- Entries must contain the entrant’s name, address, email and phone contact details. Relationships Australia will delete the surname, contact details and street names before stories are published.
- All entries must be submitted via the Neighbour Day website.
- In submitting an entry to the competition, entrants grant Relationships Australia – as the home of Neighbour Day – the right to publish the story on the Neighbour Day website, associated social media accounts and other publishing or broadcast mediums as chosen by the organization.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries.
- This competition is not open to Relationships Australia staff or their immediate families.
Competition winners will be announced Monday 8 May 2017 on the Neighbour Day website and social media platforms. Winners will be notified via the contact details provided.
Prizes will be awarded for each state and territory, along with a national prize winner. The prize pool for Tell Us Your Story includes:
- a $100 gift voucher for the winning entry from each state and territory ($800 total)
- a $300 gift voucher for the overall National winner ($300 total)
- the national winner will receive both their state prize and the national prize ($400 total).