‘Tell Us Your Story’ Competition Rules
The Neighbour Day ‘Tell Us Your Story’ competition invites people in communities around the country to share their stories of an extraordinary neighbour, or an amazing neighbourly act.
The key aim of Neighbour Day is to encourage people to connect with those that live close to them and to create communities where people look out for each other.
The theme is: ‘The importance of a supportive neighbourhood for children and young people’.
To reflect the theme, this year we’re asking people to tell us their story of one (or more) of the following:
- A time when children and/or young people felt safer and more secure when because they knew their neighbours.
- A community where children and young people feel welcome and people help each other out in creating safe and inclusive neighbourhoods.
- A time when a young person’s sense of place and attachment to a local community helped them to foster resilience, personal identity and social connections, perhaps during a challenging time.
- A public place or service that fosters community connection across all ages.
- A friendship and / or support of children and / or young people in your neighbourhood.
- Children / young people connecting with neighbours and how this happened.
- It takes a village to raise a child.
- How you reached out to your neighbours including children/young people on Neighbour Day.
- The stories must reflect the spirit and purpose of Neighbour Day (see principal aim above).
- Entries will open Monday 26 March 2018 and close at 5pm, Monday 16 April 2018.
- Entry to this competition is open to people of all ages, currently residing in Australia.
- Entrants must submit just one story, written in English.
- The word limit for stories submitted is 250 words. Entries exceeding the maximum word limit will not be judged.
- Entries must be the original work of the participant and must not have been published, self-published, included on a website, blog, online forum or other broadcast medium prior to the competition entry.
- Entries must contain the entrant’s name, address, email and phone contact details. Relationships Australia will delete the surname, contact details and street names before stories are published.
- All entries must be submitted via the Neighbour Day website.
- In submitting an entry to the competition, entrants grant Relationships Australia – as the home of Neighbour Day – the right to publish the story on the Neighbour Day website, associated social media accounts and other publishing or broadcast mediums as chosen by the organisation.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries.
- This competition is not open to Relationships Australia staff or their immediate families.
Competition winners will be announced Sunday 6 May 2018 on the Neighbour Day website and social media platforms. Winners will be notified via the contact details provided.
Prizes will be awarded for each state and territory, along with a national prize winner. The prize pool for Tell Us Your Story includes:
- a $100 gift voucher for the winning entry from each state and territory ($800 total)
- a $300 gift voucher for the overall National winner ($300 total)
- the national winner will receive both their state prize and the national prize ($400 total).