The key aim of Neighbour Day is to encourage people to connect with those who live nearby and to create communities where people look out for each other.
The Neighbour Day ‘Tell Us Your Story Competition invites people in communities around the country to share their stories.
The theme for Neighbour Day this year is ‘loneliness – what neighbours can do to create connections’. We look forward to reading your stories of how you have created neighbourly connections and how those connections have gone some way to helping end loneliness in your neighbourhood.
It may be a story of a small (or big!) action that made a positive difference to a neighbour or neighbours through improved social connection. It may be something you did or that your neighbours did, which created a meaningful connection. Or perhaps it was something you did together that managed to drive a dent in loneliness in your community. Or someone may have reached out to you to offer support or friendship. We’d love for you to tell us your story!
- Stories must reflect the spirit and purpose of Neighbour Day (see principal aim above).
- Entries will open Tuesday 29 January, 2019 and close 5pm Tuesday 26 February 2019.
- Entry to this competition is open to people of all ages currently residing in Australia.
- Entrant must submit just one story, written in English.
- The word limit for stories is 400 words. Entries exceeding the maximum word limit will not be judged, nor eligible for prizes.
- Entries must be the original work of the participant and must not have been published, self-published, included on a website, blog online forum or other broadcast media prior to the competition entry.
- Entries must contain the entrant’s name, address, email and phone contact details and street names before stories are published.
- All entries must be submitted online via the Neighbour Day website.
- In submitting an entry to the competition, entrants grant Relationships Australia – as the home of Neighbour Day – the right to publish the story on its websites (Neighbour Day and Relationships Australia), associated social media channels and other publishing or broadcast mediums as chosen by the organisations.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries.
- This competition is not open to Relationships Australia staff or their immediate families.
- Competition winners will be announced on Friday 1 March, 2019 on the Neighbour day website and social media channels. Winners will be notified via the contact details provided.
Prizes will be awarded for each state and territory, along with the national prize-winner.
The prize pool for Tell Us Your Story includes:
- $100 gift voucher for the winning entry from each state and territory ($800 total).
- $300 gift voucher for the overall national winner.
- The national winner will receive both their state/territory prize and the national prize ($400 total).