‘Tell Us Your Story’ Competition Rules
Across the country, Australians have faced, and continue to face, challenging times – bushfires, drought, floods, the COVID-19 pandemic and for many, loneliness. The strength we draw from each other, from our relationships and our wider communities, has never been more important.
To reflect the Every Day is Neighbour Day theme for Neighbour Day 2021, we’re asking people to tell us their story of creative connections over the past year and to share something about one or more of the following:
- how you or your neighbours reached out to vulnerable and/or lonely members of your community and what you have done to create a connection and/or stay connected;
- new neighbourly connections (or reconnections with neighbours you already knew) and how that came about;
- a place or service or activity in your neighbourhood that fosters connection
- friendship and/or support of people in your neighbourhood;
- any other good news story about social connection.
- The stories must reflect the spirit and purpose of Neighbour Day (see principal aim above).
- Entries open Thursday 28 January 2021 and close 12MD Sunday Wednesday 28 February 2021.
- Entry to this competition is open to people of all ages, currently residing in Australia.
- Entrants must submit just one story, written in English.
- The word limit for stories submitted is 400 words. Entries exceeding the maximum word limit will not be judged.
- Entries must be the original work of the participant and must not have been published, self-published, included on a website, blog, online forum or other broadcast media prior to the competition entry.
- Entries must contain the entrant’s name, address, email and phone contact details. Relationships Australia will delete the surname, contact details and street names before stories are published.
- All entries must be submitted via the Neighbour Day website.
- In submitting an entry to the competition, entrants grant Relationships Australia – as the home of Neighbour Day – the right to publish the story (in part or full) on the Neighbour Day website, associated social media accounts and other publishing or broadcast mediums as chosen by the organisation.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries.
- This competition is not open to Relationships Australia staff or their immediate families.
Competition winners will be notified from Thursday 4 March 2021 via the contact details provided. Winning stories will be promoted on the Neighbour Day website and social media platforms in the following weeks in the lead up to Neighbour Day.
Prizes will be awarded for each state and territory, along with a national prize winner. The prize pool for Tell Us Your Story includes:
- a $100 gift voucher for the winning entry from each state and territory
- a $300 gift voucher for the overall National winner
- the national winner will receive both their state prize and the national prize ($400 gift voucher in total).